Sorry for the delay in posts, I have had the craziest September! Between work, studying and getting a new puppy, my outfit creativity (not to mention my lack of makeup and hair doing) has taken a toll on the blog. So without further adieu let’s talk about wearing white after Labor Day! I grew up with a mother and grandmother who always said wearing white (at least from waist down) after Labor Day was taboo. I still carry a bit of that stigma with me, however I just love the versatility of the color and hate putting my white items away in the fall. Over the past few years I’ve seen designers showing white in their winter and fall collections so I decided they were giving me permission to modify my previous clothing color prejudice slightly. Here are some tips I put together for myself to pull of white after Labor Day.
Fall/Winter White Tips
1. Choose off white, cream and light grey colors vs. cool/bright whites.
2. Layer with cardigans, dusters, jackets, etc.
3. I recommend steering clear of white jeans and shorts. I’ve seen some exceptions, like Three of Something‘s “brilliance shorts” they brought out for their Fall 2014 line. However, most of the exceptions are not a white jean or linen material, they are typically, tan, cream or metallic so that’s what I would recommend if you are determined to wear white skirts, pants or shorts.
4. Pair with fall and winter colors (burnt orange, grey, tan, red, military green, etc.). The addition of the fall/winter colors will make your outfit look more fall/winter fashion savvy.
5. Make sure the white item is a little bit more covering than your white items (ie top of knee to mid-calf length skirts/dresses vs mid-thigh).
6. Accessorize for the season. Since it is technically still summer for another day or two (and it feels more like summer in Utah now than it did in July), light dusters, cardigans, etc. do the trick with creating a season appropriate white outfit. If you are in an area where it is already getting cold break out boots, hats, scarves, tights, etc. Look to see what fall/winter accessories you can pair with your winter white items that give the outfit a strong pull toward the season.
Let me know what your opinion is on white after Labor Day and if you have any tips on how to wear it for fall and winter (feel free to comment)! Here’s my winter white outfit I donned the other day…
| Duster: Tildon via Nordstrom | Dress & Lace Slip: Marilyn and Beverly’s | Heels: Aldo/old (burnt orange/cognac heel options here and here) | Belt: old (similar here) |
I should have some pictures of my cute new puppy, as well as some cool new companies I discovered (ie Kidogo Kidogo) coming soon, so check back soon for those!