“Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and cold be sleep under stone:
never more to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.”
-J.R.R. Tolkein, The Lord of the Rings
Cold, grey weather getting you down? Me too! Especially when the season changes, my mind has a hard time making the change from sunshine and blue skies to pale, bleak grey. It hard for my head to differentiate between the world around me being overcast and my life being purposeless. Tolkein’s words are often how my mind and body feel when the weather first changes and the light and color have been washed from the world. To help beat these cold weather blues, I have found ten things to help me stay motivated and get through the colder months (continue reading below for list + giveaway…)
| Cargo Jacket: c/o Pink Blush | Pants: c/o Pink Blush | Scarf: c/o Pink Blush (sold out-similar here) | Bracelet: c/o Marilyn and Beverly’s | Necklace: Nazari | Heels: Nine West | Tee: Nordstrom Rack |
5 Ways to Beat Cold Weather Blues
1. Get some sun. When the sun does appear, I usually sneak outside for a quick walk just to glimpse the blue sky and feel the sun on my face for a moment. Also try taking Vitamin D or using full spectrum bulbs or UV light therapy.
2. Exercise. I lose my motivation for fitness when it is cold because I’d rather bundle up watching a movie then going to the gym when it is pitch black out after work. However, it’s important to get some exercise in or you will feel more sluggish and depressed…believe me, I know this from experience!
3. Eat an orange. Sounds odd, I know! Oranges look and taste like summer to me, not to mention they have Vitamin C that will help keep your immune system strong to beat colds. Nothing gets me down in winter more than being sick, yuck!
4. Enjoy winter activities. Take advantage of activities only winter has to offer so you have something to look forward to. Try sledding, snowboarding, skiing, ice skating, snowman or snow fort making, etc.
5. Embrace the season. Let yourself get caught up in the holidays and enjoy the company around you. I tend to become more hermit like in the winter. I’d rather curl up alone and read a book or watch a movie than be social. It’s important to still be social to keep you from sinking into a deep depression and so you remember that there is still fun in winter!
Hope these tips help you this winter! Stay warm goldies and don’t forget to enter the PinkBlush giveaway below to win a gift card and score some of the cute things I’ve been wearing on my blog lately!