This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, INC. and The Coca-Cola Company, all opinions are mine alone. #IceColdSummerMoments #CollectiveBias
Creating the Perfect Grilled Pineapple Burger
One of my favorite places to vacation is Hawaii, and there is a restaurant in Maui that serves a great teriyaki burger. I wanted to bring a little taste of paradise to our home this summer by putting a little spin on an island inspired burger. I knew it would turn out really good, but I honestly didn’t anticipate it being the best burger I’ve ever made! I’m not exaggerating, this is hands down the best burger ever created in our house. It is sweet, tangy and savory all at the same time. However, the glaze is not overly sweet, so it doesn’t overpower the other elements of the burger, it is the perfect balance. First, I soaked the pineapple in a mixture of Coca-Cola™, brown sugar and cinnamon. Letting the pineapple rest in the Coca-Cola while prepping the other ingredients makes the fruit perfectly tender, so that after grilling, it just melts in your mouth.
Next I prepared the glaze. It may seem like I went overboard using Coca-Cola again in this recipe, but this ingredient is honestly what makes the sauce perfect for the burger. The tangy, sweet, crisp flavor of the soda gives the sauce extra depth.
After finishing the sauce, I made my own burger patties with shredded swiss cheese inside. I prefer doing my burgers this way, because it keeps the meat juicy and the cheese is perfectly melted. However, you can season regular hamburger patties and top with slices of cheese if you prefer. After grilling up the patties, pineapple, onion and buns; it is time to assemble. I put them together in this order: bottom bun, grilled pineapple, patty, onion, drizzled glaze, lettuce and top bun.
My mouth is starting to water just looking at this picture! During the summer we love to eat outside. We made it a goal one summer to go on picnics once a week. Now that we have a baby, we don’t go as often, but we still aim for about once a month. We’ve brought picnic baskets to the park that contain anything from the traditional cold sandwiches, to bbq ribs with mashed potatoes. Since this burger was inspired by eating outside on an island, I figured it was the perfect main course to bring to the park (you could also grill up your burger patties there if there are outdoor grills). We packed up our meal and threw some ice cold Coca-Colas in our basket, and off to the park we went! When I was at Target this week, I even found my husband’s first AND last name on the Share A Coke display (they have 1,000 new names this year). I found first and last names of a ton of our family and friends, so I picked up a bunch of them so I could share an ice cold Coke with a cute personalized touch with my family. You can use this Cartwheel offer at Target to get 20% off Share A Coke 20oz bottles right now too!
I also picked up this cute metal container for drinks, as well as the little metal buckets I put our sweet potato fries in. Target really seems to have everything. I even got my ruffle sleeve top and sneakers from there earlier in the spring. It’s basically a grocery store, home decor and clothing boutique all in one. Anyone else love going here for everything?!
Serves 1 Burger
This Pineapple Paradise Burger is juicy, tangy, sweet and savory. Perfect for any outdoor picnic, bbq or backyard get together. The glaze adds extra flavor without making it too sweet, and preparing the hamburger patties Jucy Lucy style (cheese inside the patty), keeps the burgers juicy and adds extra depth to the flavor.
20 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 6 Hamburger Buns
- 2 Lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Cup Shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 Sweet Onion (sliced in circles)
- Jamaican Jerk Seasoning* (optional, see notes)
- Grilled Pineapple
- 1 Cup Coca-Cola
- 1 Pineapple (cut into rings)
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- Coca-Cola Glaze
- 1/4 Cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Coca-Cola
- 1 Clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 Tsp Ginger
- 5 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup Cold Water
- Combine Coca-Cola, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and gently stir. Place pineapple in bowl to soak while preparing the glaze.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a small saucepan, except the cold water and cornstarch.
- Mix the cornstarch and cold water outside of saucepan. Once dissolved, add to saucepan and stir.
- Cook over medium-high heat until the glaze thickens. It should be the consistency of a thick sauce. Remove from heat, pour into a jar/bowl and set aside.
- Build the burger patties by pressing half of the meat for each patty into the bottom of a burger press (or just shape the patty by hand). Fill the middle with swiss cheese, then cover with the remaining meat.
- Season patties to taste using salt, pepper and Jamaican Jerk seasoning (optional).
- Place pineapple and onion circles on grill over medium or high until each side has light grill marks, then remove and set aside.
- Grill patties, flipping only once, until meat has reached desired temperature (we like ours medium to medium well).
- Assembly time! Layer the hamburger buns with the grilled pineapple, burger patty, onion, glaze and lettuce. Enjoy!
*I lightly seasoned the hamburger patties with a Jamaican Jerk seasoning. This seasoning is a blend of Black Peppercorn, Allspice, Sea Salt, Garlic, Chipotle Morita Powder, Thyme, Cayenne, Cloves, Cinnamon, Onion and Cassia. **We also like to lightly toast or grill our hamburger buns as well.
If you are looking for some more summer party and recipe inspiration, here are some fun ideas as well.