This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GlissHairRepair #CollectiveBias
The summer can be absolutely brutal on my hair. Between lightening my color, upping my workout routine and hitting up pools, lakes and beaches; my hair can be a total frizzy mess during the warmer months! Luckily, I’ve figured out a routine over the years that keeps my hair healthy and luminous.
Don’t Let the Sun Steal Your Shine: How to Get Healthy Summer Hair
#1 Get rid of build up.
- Build up weighs down your hair so it looks greasy more quickly. You want to wash your hair less to help keep it healthy, so it’s important to make sure to keep your hair free of build up.
- (Every other wash.) I use 1 TBSP of apple cider vinegar on my roots and the top of my head after getting hair wet (before shampooing). This gets rid of all of the dry shampoo and product build up I’ve accumulated on my hair, especially on the crown of my head.
#2 Find shampoo and conditioners that are designed to prevent and repair damaged hair.
- My current favorites are the Schwarzkopf Gliss™ Ultimate Repair Shampoo and Schwarzkopf Gliss™ Ultimate Repair Conditioner. Gliss™ products are scientifically proven to repair hair that was damaged from a variety of harsh conditions; and the Ultimate Repair line is perfect for summer damage, because it has more liquid keratin to repair hair.
- You can actually SAVE $5.00 off TWO Schwarzkopf® GLISS™ Shampoo or Conditioner or Treatment right now with this coupon (click here for coupon link). You can use this coupon on the other Gliss™ Hair Repair lines as well (5 sub-lines).
You can find these products at Walmart in the beauty and hair section.
#3 To really repair damage, use a hair mask and/or leave in treatment as well.
- I currently am using the Schwarzkopf Gliss™ Ultimate Repair Express Repair™ Conditioner; which is a leave in conditioner that I spray on after towel drying my hair. I like the leave in conditioner in the summer, because it makes my hair instantly brushable. I also feel like it really helps me tame my frizz!
- This is also a great product for lake trips where you don’t have access to a shower, because you can spray it on your damp hair to keep it from getting really dried out and frizzy.
#4 Try not to wash your hair more than 1-2x a week.
- I think we have all heard that it is better not to wash your hair too much. However, it’s hard to do this in the summer. Getting rid of build up (step #1), is definitely a factor. Also, after a couple of days, start using dry shampoo on your roots. I also find it helpful to wear a shower cap on the days I’m not washing my hair, because it blocks it from getting wet. I find that when my hair accidentally gets wet, it looks greasy faster. Also, unless you are truly going for a swim or doing a summer activity where your hair must get wet, put it up! When I take my son to the pool, I just throw my hair in a messy bun on the top of my head.
#5 Take a break from heat styling.
- Typically I heat style my hair only once or twice a week, which is largely due to the fact that I only wash my hair once or twice a week! Heat can really cause damage, so when I heat style my hair, I tend to do loose curls that look good as they slowly straighten throughout the next few days. My shower cap suggestion above also helps your styling last as long as possible, because it keeps the steam and water off of your styled locks.
- If you are someone who is an avid swimmer or really into water sports, then I recommend only heat styling your hair a couple of times a week and then finding a go-to braid for the other days.
These things have definitely been a game changer for my hair! So if you were searching for a way to get shining, healthy hair again…here is the way! Use the coupon code I linked above (and here) and pick up the Schwarzkopf Ultimate Repair line at Walmart today.