Making a Strawberry Smoothie Bowl
When I first saw smoothie bowls taking over Instagram, I decided to give them a whirl (pun intended) ;). It honestly took me quite a few tries to get the consistency and sweetness correct. I experimented with everything from a bullet blender to a food processor and my favorite recipe so far is a strawberry smoothie bowl.
My personal favorite method is using the food processor, I feel like it blends the ingredients to a smooth consistency without making it too runny. You can experiment with fruit ratios, protein powders and almond milk vs coconut milk as well. I feel like the taste of the protein powder can make a huge difference in how much I like the flavor, so make sure you like the flavor of the one you choose. I used Muscle Milk Vanilla Protein Powder. It has a great flavor and the price is good. If you are looking for a vegan protein powder, the next one on my bucket list is actually one my sister-in-law recommended to me, Vegan Smart All-In-One Vanilla Nutritional Shake Powder.
Serves 1 Bowl
Quick and easy protein strawberry smoothie bowl.
5 minCook Time
5 minTotal Time
- 1 Cup Frozen Strawberries
- 1 Banana
- 3 Tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (variations on amounts in notes below)
- Agave Syrup (optional)
- Shredded Coconut
- Chia Seeds
- Combine strawberries, 1/2 banana, almond milk and protein powder in a food processor.
- Puree until smooth, but still thick.
- Taste and add a drizzle of agave for added sweetness if needed; blend.
- Pour contents into bowl.
- Topping Ideas: Get creative, top with whatever you like! My favorites are shredded coconut, banana slices, chia seeds, sliced strawberry.
*Protein Powder Variation Suggestion: If eating as a snack vs meal, I only use 1/2 a scoop of protein. You can add more protein if you are looking for a more protein heavy, higher calorie bowl. I would not recommend adding extra almond milk to compensate until after blending and deciding if it needs a little thinning. Adding too much liquid creates a soupy bowl. **Coconut milk can be used in place of almond milk.
You can do a ton of variations with this basic recipe. I’ve been working on a tropical one with mango as well! What are your favorite smoothie bowl flavors?